Competition Categories, Awards, and Prizes
There will be two categories of competition—general research and proposed research. You are encouraged to compete in both and eligible to win all three prizes – there is no limit to the number of presentations that each student can present. Also, “in progress” research efforts are encouraged.
- General Research Category
- Directors Award
- This category will be judged by the East Foundation Board of Directors and will awarded to the single presentation that best meets the judging criteria and captures the essence of our mission at the East Foundation. Our Directors are senior-level leaders; investment bankers, oil & gas developers, cattlemen, and businessmen, that hold a deep understanding of ranching, land management, and wildlife conservation.
- Prize: $3000*
- People’s Choice Award
- This category will be judged by the audience in the room—peers, colleagues, university faculty, the East Foundation Professional Advisors Group, East Foundation professional staff, and other invited guests from a cross section of south Texas.
- Prize: $2,000*
- Proposed Research Category—the best research often generates more questions than answers. This category will focus on proposals building on research or lessons learned while working on East Foundation ranches.
- Best Research Proposal Award
- This category will be judged by the East Foundation Professional Advisors Group. The East Foundation’s Professional Advisors are among the nation’s top experts in wildlife management, rangeland ecology, ranch management, livestock management, and veterinary science. They are responsible for advising the Foundation on the content and direction of research, education, and outreach efforts.
- Prize: $1,000*
*The East Foundation reserves the right to make no awards if presentations do not meet minimum judging criteria